Environmental Factor, December 2009, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
The American Public Health Association honored NIEHS Director Ken Olden with the Sedgwick Medal, the oldest and most prestigious award bestowed by APHA...read more
NIEHS is among the companies and organizations designated as 2004 Best Workplaces for Commuters. The honor comes from the EPA as part of a program to recognize employers ...read more
Finally! A single calendar for all NIEHS events and those events outside NIEHS that are of interest to the NIEHS community. The new Master Calendar, which debuted in November, links to the conference room scheduler as well, making it even simpler to book the room, ...read more
Karla Hernandez Cruz, a Summers of Discovery student from Puerto Rico was honored by the Endocrine Society for excellence in endocrine research. The honor was bestowed at the 2004 Society for ...read more
The NIEHS Diversity Council sponsored a number of activities for Native American Heritage Celebration month in November. Among them were a craft workshop ...read more
Tom Gray, from the Laboratory of Molecular Carcinogenesis, created a graphic featured on the cover of the November issue of the Journal of Virology. ...read more
NIEHS is will compile a new RNAi library to help fight disease. The effort will provide researchers worldwide with data to determine how genes and environment interact to cause disease. ...read more
Perry Blackshear, director of NIEHS clinical research, took top honors as Scientist of the Year for 2005 at the second annual NIEHS Science Awards Day Nov. 4. ...read more
DERT-funded researchers working with Florida red tide discovered two new compounds that may treat mucus build-up in cystic fibrosis and similar lung diseases. Preliminary findings ...read more
The twentieth Hans L. Falk Lecture was held Nov. 9 in the Rodbell Auditorium. The Falk Lecture...read more
DHHS Secretary Tommy Thompson weighed it, so to speak, in support of the NIEHS public-private partnership to encourage active lifestyles....read more
Joseph Tart has produced some 75 paintings in the past five years. But for him, it's more about the process than the quantity. He says the process is like taking a journey. Once you get there, it is kind of anticlimactic. For Tart, the process is therapeutic ...read more
First Environments, the daycare center NIEHS shares with EPA, will host an art show featuring the work of NIEHS staffers. The show will open with a reception on Friday, Dec. 3 from 6-8 p.m ...read more
Did You Know?
Dmitri Zaykin joined the Biostatistics Branch at NIEHS in October. His previous positions in statistical and population genetics were at the Institute of Marine Biology (Vladivostok, Russia), North Carolina State University ...read more
The first pay period in the 2005 pay year ends Dec. 25. People with EFT deposits would normally receive their pay on Dec. 31, but to ensure the salary is paid in calendar year 2005, payday for ...read more
In past years, the ethics training requirement only applied to those people who were required to file financial disclosures, but NIH Director Elias Zerhouni this year expanded that requirement to include all NIH staff, said Janice Strother, who coordinates and documents the training....read more
To prevent delays in receiving 2004 W-2s, NIH must have current addresses. The Post Office will not forward W-2s, and address corrections must be processed before duplicate W-2s can be issued....read more
End of Year Dates to Remember
- FEHB Open Season: ends Dec. 13
- FSA Open Season: ends Dec. 13
- Thrift Savings Plan Open Season: ends Dec. 31
- Use it or Lose it: All use or lose leave must be used by Jan. 8, which is the end of the 2004 leave year, or it will be forfeited.
- FEHB rate changes: New rates for health insurance begin Jan. 15, with the payday of Jan. 28.
- CFC contributions: The last deduction for 2004 CFC contributions will be the payday of Jan. 14. Contributions for 2005 will begin the following payday, beginning Jan. 28.
- Annual pay raise: The annual pay adjustment goes into effect Jan. 9.
View More Events: NIEHS Public Calendar
Calendar of Upcoming Events
- The annual NIEHS Holiday Craft Show will be Dec. 7 in the mall areas of the main campus. Vendors will show their wares from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m.
- The NIEHS Work Life Center career counselor will be available for consultations Dec. 14 and Dec. 28. To schedule a session, call the NIH Work Life Center at (301) 435-1619. Services are free for NIH employees.